If your application is being processed by the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy, you are required to obtain the original or certified copy and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs) of the following documents for yourself and each family member applying for a visa. All documents are required even if they were previously submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with your petition.  Please do not submit any documents to NVC.

You are required to bring all of the documents applicable to you to the Embassy on the day of the interview. You must click each section for detailed information regarding documents required.  The failure to bring the correct documents to your interview may result in your application being denied.


An unexpired passport valid for six months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States.


Two color photographs which meet Department of State Specifications. These photographs must be full-face and taken within the last six (6) months

Appointment Letter and Courier Confirmation Page

Applicants whose case was processed by NVC will be required to bring your appointment letter. Both locally filed and NVC cases must bring their courier confirmation page

Birth Certificate

You must obtain the original, or certified copy (provided by the issuing authority), of the birth record of each family member (yourself, your spouse, and all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they are not immigrating with you.  If the children are deceased, so state giving year of death). Note:  We will not accept the short form version of a UK birth certificate.  The certificate must list both parents’ names;

  • If your birth certificate is unavailable you should obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason why the record is not available. With the certified statement you must obtain secondary evidence. For example:
    • An affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent’s names, and the mother’s maiden name.
    • An adoption decree for an adopted child; or
    • A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent’s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth.

Adoption Certificate (if applicable)

The original or a certified copy of your adoption certificate will be required. The certificate must show date and place of adoption, along with the names of the adoptive parents. This certificate must be issued by a public authority and show that a public record exists of the adoption.

Marriage Certificate (if applicable)

If you are/were married you must present an original or certified copy. You must also present proof of the dissolution of any previous marriage, such as a death certificate, divorce decree or evidence of annulment.

Statutory Declaration/Change of Name Deed Poll (if applicable)

If the name on your birth certificate differs from the name on your passport, and the change was not made through marriage, legal evidence of your name change is required.

Police Certificates for Other Countries (if applicable)

Police certificates are required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.

U.S. police certificates are not required.

Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable or are obtained directly by this office.  Fingerprints are required for certain countries. A list of UK police stations who can provide fingerprinting services is available from the Embassy website, Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely unless you have returned to reside in that country or has been arrested since the issuance of the certificate.

Court and Prison Records (if applicable)

If you have been convicted of a crime you must obtain a certified copy of each court record and any prison record, regardless of the fact that you may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency.

Court records should include Complete information regarding the circumstance surrounding the crime of which you were convicted and the disposition of the case, including sentence or other penalty or fine imposed.

Military Records (if applicable)

If you have served in the military forces of any country you must obtain your military record.  On the day of the visa interview, you will be required to furnish either your discharge papers or evidence of terminal leave from the forces.

Evidence of Support (Affidavit of Support)

a contractual affidavit of support must be submitted at the time of the interview for immediate relative and family-based applicants and employment-based applicants when a relative is the petitioner or has the ownership interest in the petitioner’s business.

Evidence submitted must be less than 12 months old.


All documents not in English must be accompanied by an official, certified translation in English.

The translator must provide a signed statement confirming that the translation is accurate.  Only one copy is needed. The translation does not need to be notarized.

Note: Applicants are also required to bring the original document, in the original language.

Visa Fees

Add Your Comment

Free Eligibility Assessment

Want to know how will immigration affect you?

Your Name (required)



Your Email (required)


Choose Country

Assessment For

Upload Your CV (Applicant)

Upload Your Spouse Profile (Optional)

Free Eligibility Assessment