Essential document checklist

Below is a checklist of important documentation, where you can access them from and what you’ll need them for:

Travel document (usually your passport)

You’ll need this to travel to your study destination, as well as when applying for a student visa – so don’t think you can use a copy to travel! It’s usually considered the best form of identification as a passport looks pretty much the same anywhere in the world (compared to a driving license which can vary considerably from one country to another, and where fakes are often in circulation). Some choose to use this as I.D. for getting into bars, but this can be risky if you lose it (a possible scenario if you drink a little too much). Take a copy of it and lock the original way in a safe in your accommodation (or somewhere safe). Take note of your passport number and perhaps even keep a photo of all the key pages of your passport on your phone (you won’t be able to use this to travel but at least it’s something if you need to back up your claim). Usually if you lose your passport, you’ll have to speak to your embassy in your study destination (this can take some time to sort out and you’ll be without a passport in the meantime though, so try not to lose it). Your university website should also offer some advice for such circumstances.


Birth certificate

Another key document for verifying who you are, a birth certificate can be difficult to track down unless you have very organized parents who store these carefully at home. A copy of your birth certificate can usually be retrieved or ordered through a government website like in the UK (there will usually be a fee to pay).


Medical certificate

Some countries will require that you pass particular medical tests before you can be allowed into the country. One example is tuberculosis screening when applying for a student visa in Newzeland. Usually these are to prevent health epidemics which have posed a problem there in the past. It’s always worth having a full health check-up prior to leaving as it will be a lot simpler to take care of any medical issues in your own home country. Remember to take copies of your medical certificate and any test results, as well as a full list of any medication you take/have taken and any allergies from your family doctor – if old conditions flare up, you’ll be prepared to receive treatment as soon as possible.


Student visa (also referred to as a ‘permit’ or ‘label)

You’ll need this to enter the country where you are studying (and NOT a copy). The application process for this can vary according to study location, but we usually recommend starting this as soon as you receive an offer from your university. Again, photocopy this so you can refer to it and prove your claims if it is lost or stolen. Like your passport, the first stop if you need another visa should be your embassy (and your university’s website too).


Passport-sized photos

A small but necessary need for photo documents which you apply for. It’s always useful to have a few spares and to keep them in a safe place – using public photobooths can be expensive. To ensure you can use these photos for many different applications, follow the standard rules for passport photos as these are very thorough (e.g. remove glasses and any headwear, look straight at the camera head-on, comb back hair from your face or forehead, don’t smile etc.).


Confirmation of offer

The original letter from your university which confirms your place will be required when applying for your student visa, and any scholarships. This will probably be the pride and joy of your parents’ fridge but make sure you have a copy yourself! It is an essential document to prove that you have been offered a place. When you accept this offer, keep a copy of any receipt of enrollment or similar acknowledgement that you have accepted their offer.


Academic scripts

Throughout your schooling, you should keep safe all academic scripts and results with grades, in chronological order. If these are not in English, they should be translated alongside the translator’s accreditation – this way admissions staff can judge whether you have the necessary grades to study there, and compare these to their own grading system. It is also worth keeping certificates for extra-curricular achievements as well.


Test results

Many international students will have to take additional tests as part of their application. If English is not your first language, you will have to meet the set language requirements for that university, course or department and take either an IELTS  or TOEFL test. Similarly, for certain fields, you will have to pass particular admissions tests to test your aptitude or knowledge. When you receive your results, get a copy and have them translated if requested. There is normally a system in place if you have to request further copies of these from the relevant authority.


Financial evidence

When applying for your student visa or further financial assistance, you’ll likely have to prove your current financial circumstances (i.e. you’ll have to prove that you have the funds to finance part or all of your study). The same may be asked of your parents if they will be supporting you. Usually, you can request these statements from your bank, or you can just print them yourself from home through online banking

Also, if you pay a fee of any kind, like when applying for your student visa, you’ll likely be sent a receipt or confirmation. Ensure you have a copy of this as it proves you have done this, as well as the date this was processed. At the very least, use your own records of this financial transaction from your bank, building society or PayPal account which shows this transfer. This way, if you don’t receive what you are meant to, you have evidence.


Confirmation of financial awards

If you are fortunate enough to be awarded a scholarship or bursary, keep hold of your confirmation of award letter which confirms this; it will have key details including how much you will be awarded, how this will be paid to you and more. This will help you plan your finances and budget for the following months/years.



Any written references for employment or applications for further study should be kept neatly, in case you must present them in person in interviews (especially if they have been printed on high quality paper). Usually it will be satisfactory to provide photocopies, especially if you are applying to many jobs; however ask your referee to provide an electronic version in a PDF format too, for when you submit electronic applications (a common occurrence nowadays). Every 10 months, confirm with your referee that you can still use them for a reference, and that their contact details are the same. 

Add Your Comment

Free Eligibility Assessment

Want to know how will immigration affect you?

Your Name (required)



Your Email (required)


Choose Country

Assessment For

Upload Your CV (Applicant)

Upload Your Spouse Profile (Optional)

Free Eligibility Assessment